Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Entrapment in play as appeals court looks at plot to kidnap Michigan governor -Blueprint Money Mastery
SafeX Pro:Entrapment in play as appeals court looks at plot to kidnap Michigan governor
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:35:15
DETROIT (AP) — An appeals court is SafeX Proraising major questions about the trial of two key figures in a plot to kidnap Michigan’s governor — and putting federal prosecutors on the defensive as the government tries to preserve the extraordinary guilty verdicts.
After hearing arguments in May, the court took the uncommon step of asking for more written briefs on the impact of a trial judge’s decision to bar evidence that might have supported claims of entrapment made by Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr.
Fox and Croft are in prison for leading a conspiracy to try to snatch Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in 2020. Prosecutors said a ragtag band of anti-government extremists had hoped that an abduction at her vacation home would spark a civil war around the same time as the presidential election.
Defense attorneys wanted jurors to see more communications between FBI handlers, undercover agents and paid informants who had fooled Fox and Croft and got inside the group. They argued that any plan to kidnap Whitmer was repeatedly pushed by those government actors.
But at the 2022 trial, U.S. District Judge Robert Jonker greatly restricted the use of certain text messages and audio recordings under his interpretation of evidence rules.
“Trials are about telling your story, giving your narrative, trying to persuade,” Croft’s appellate lawyer, Timothy Sweeney, told the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which posts audio on its website.
“When you’re denied the ability to use the rules of evidence where they benefit you, that is an unfair trial. ... This case needs to be reversed and sent back for a new trial for that reason,” Sweeney said.
He might have Judge Joan Larsen on his side. She was the most aggressive on the three-judge panel, at one point seeming incredulous with the government’s stance on an important legal precedent at play in the appeal.
“Oh, come on,” she told Assistant U.S. Attorney Nils Kessler. “Really?”
Larsen said defense lawyers wanted jurors to see that “government informants were just pounding” Fox and Croft.
“Make a plan, make a plan, make a plan — you’re just sitting around. You’re all talk, you’re no action, make a plan,” she said. “Surely that’s relevant.”
Kessler said any error by Jonker to keep out certain messages was harmless.
“They were talking about doing this before they ever met the informants,” he said. “Adam Fox said we need to take our tyrants as hostages two weeks before he had ever met a government informant. Barry Croft had been talking about it much longer.”
Lawyers met a Monday deadline to file additional briefs. Sweeney and co-counsel Steven Nolder said there were dozens of examples of excluded evidence that could have bolstered an entrapment defense.
The error “infested the entire trial,” they said in asking to have the convictions thrown out.
Kessler, however, said Fox and Croft didn’t need to be egged on by informants or undercover agents. He noted that weapons and bomb-making material were discovered after the FBI broke up the operation with arrests in October 2020. Whitmer, a Democrat, was never physically harmed.
The jury would not have been convinced that “Fox or Croft were ‘pushed’ against their will into conspiring to use explosives or conspiring to kidnap the governor,” Kessler said.
It’s not known when the appeals court will release an opinion. Another issue for the court is an allegation of juror bias.
Prosecutors had a mixed record in the overall investigation: There were five acquittals among 14 people charged in state or federal court. Fox, 41, and Croft, 48, were convicted at a second trial after a jury at the first trial couldn’t reach a unanimous verdict.
___
Follow Ed White on X at: https://twitter.com/edwritez
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Remy Ma's son, 23-year-old Jayson Scott, arrested on suspicion of 2021 murder
- DJT stock dive: What's behind Trump Media's plummeting price?
- DJT stock dive: What's behind Trump Media's plummeting price?
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- 2 planes collide in midair in Idaho: 1 pilot killed, other has 'life threatening' injuries
- Vitamix recalls 569,000 blending containers and blade bases after dozens of lacerations
- Trump to campaign in Virginia after first presidential debate
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Attacker of Nancy Pelosi’s husband also found guilty of kidnapping and could face more prison time
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Remy Ma's son, 23-year-old Jayson Scott, arrested on suspicion of 2021 murder
- Should cellphones be banned from classrooms? What students, teachers say
- Lionel Messi's breakthrough assist caps Argentina's win vs. Canada in Copa America opener
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- North Korea and Russia's deepening ties prompt South Korea to reconsider ban on supplying weapons to Ukraine
- Family of taekwondo instructors in Texas saves woman from sexual assault
- A'ja Wilson, Caitlin Clark lead first round of WNBA All-Star voting
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
How Oliver Platt moonlights on ‘The Bear,’ while still clocking in at ‘Chicago Med’
Cue the duck boats: Boston set for parade to salute Celtics’ record 18th NBA championship
Can a marriage survive a gender transition? Yes, and even thrive. How these couples make it work
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
IOC approves Oklahoma City to host Olympic softball, canoe slalom during the 2028 Los Angeles Games
Air Force colonel identified as 1 of 2 men missing after small plane plunges into Alaskan lake
New state program aims to put 500,000 acres of Montana prairie under conservation leases